Day 1 – So the adventure begins 5th May 2011

Nothing like an early start! By the time I got to the airport I had already been awake about 20 hours (yes, I was repacking again at the last minute). Both my day pack and ruck sack were solid! I managed to leave my watch, ring and bracelet in security area, fortunately realised quickly and got them back. Got to Paris for the first connection and then had to go through security again, and this time I caused chaos because I did not remove all electrical goods from my day pack! In all the confusion I hadn’t noticed that my netbook and passport had not passed through the machine. I walked away having had to try and stuff everything into my very full bag. I was horrified when I realised what I had done. The ladies were very helpful when the realised what had happened and scalded the young lad for not passing the stuff through! This wasn’t boding well for the next three months!


When I was in Peru with Jo & Charl I would have left my sleeping bag in my first bus trip with them if they hadn’t been on the ball. I put it down to them being experienced and I hope I get there quickly without leaving too many possessions on the way! Although it could be argued that maybe I need to loose a few things to make packing a little easier!

The flight to Rio was a very boring 12 hours! Got through several films (Dad - including the tourist). And I also managed to get the connection at Rio without too much hassle. Made a friend on that flight that made lots of suggestions about where to go and what to see (had lots of pictures for me to see of the places he had visited). |I read that Brazilians are proud of their nation and so far I agree.  He obviously thought I was a little green behind the ears so gave me his business card in case I need any help when I get to Rio!

After such a long journey and some 40 odd hours awake (with a couple of ½ hour naps) you can imagine my first day was uneventful. No great view from my window but the corridor window has a view of Teatro Amazones which is in all the guidebooks I wasn’t overly impressed. Had a wonder around, picked up some supplies and now looking for an early night so I can make better use of tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my sister is up to her usual antics!!!
    I have moved your pictures to the top as I think they may have been lost down the bottom there! Ohh and should have the domain set up for you soon. Now make sure you keep this updated!! Want to be hearing all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete