Day 23 Sousa - Valley of the Dinosaurs 27th May 2011

Sousa is an important paleontological area with over 50 types of prehistoric footprints.  We only saw a couple in the Vale Dos Dinossaurios but we were able to camp there for the night in our first “Bush Camp” although as we had limited access to loos and running water you could argue this was not a bush camp.  We set up the kitchen and tents, I think I will call my tent “keith” from here onwards.  Ross and Anki treated us to a lovely fish supper and after a few beers off I went for my first night in a tent. 
So how was my first night?  I was knackered  in the morning!  My self inflating matress that I brought with me was not the most comfortable sleep but it will do and although it was initially hot in the tent it soon cooled down.  My problem was the noise.  Firstly crickets and other night noises are not common in Surrey so was not used to how load they were but I eventually fell asleep.  Then later when I thought it was nearly morning but turned out to be only about midnight (yes I know, unlike me to be asleep so early)I heard sniffing around the outside of the tent.  I have chosen to believe that it was one of the numerous cats in the area or one of our group has same very strange habits at night!!!! I stuck my Ipod on and ignored it but it did occur to me that I should consider the positioning of my tent more carefully next time.  If it had been a hungry dinosaur left over from before the last ice age then it would probably eat me first!  Next time I’ll make sure my tent was not first in the line of fire as it may not be hungry by the time it got to me!  I was woken up again later when album I was listening to had finished but something was moving in the tent.  Remember the beetle problem I mentioned in previous blog, well 3 of the buggers had got into my backpack when I wasn’t looking the day before and of course I had left it open over night in the tent!!!! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment