Day 5 Manaus – Meeting the rest of the group 9th May 2011

So it was time to pack up my stuff and leave my lovely hotel (Go Inn) with hot water & air. My bag was soooooo full that I ended up leaving a couple of t-shirts behind! Just didn’t have enough hands for yet another bag! So off I went to meet the rest of the group at Hotel 10 de Julho. Only a 15 minute walk but with all my gear and the fact it was mid day I was drenched by the time I got there. The hotel was fine, rooms a little small, cold water showers (which was perfect) and very very noisy air con which was essential. Room was sooooooo hot. I dumped my stuff and went left for an ice cream and a spot of people watching from the Teatro square. On the whole the locals were very friendly and took every opportunity to practice their English with me. Good job as my portugese extended as far as Obrigada (thank you) and sign language!
At the group meeting I met our team leader Anki and 5 of the other passengers. One was arriving late that night whilst Ross the co driver and “Amber” (aka Amborghini) were already on their way down the Amazon on a cargo boat to Belem. In the group with have the well travelled Gwen (Australia), & Gabi (Switzerland), our very own Capoeria expert Maya from London and last but not least the 2 very funny lads on their gap year, Charlie and James. We meet the delightful doctor from Canada, Olu the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment